Sunday, June 29, 2008

Russian River "Combat" Fishing Adventure

Alaska's Combat Fishing is known at just a "meat harvest". It's not the remote, peaceful, image that most think of when they think of fly fishing in Alaska. However, if just catching big fish or putting salmon on the table is your goal, this is where it's at. It's almost impossible not to catch a fish during a run on this river. It was a pain having people so close but what I found very helpful was all the advice I would get from those "actually catching fish" around me. I learned a lot but not sure if I learned the right things "smile". By the way, I want everyone to know that I went to the local fly shop in Cooper Landing and got the perfect set up for these fish.
Fly Rod: 8-9
Line-8-9
Strong 7 foot Leader
4 weights spaced 2 feet from the fly (this is so the weights bounce along the river and the fly floats up two feet to catch in their mouth-these salmon aren't feeding just headed up stream with their mouth open).
I used a 10:00-2:00 cast
bright green colored fly (which was what everyone around me was catching on).
If I felt any change in the line i would try to set the hook.
Many times people around me would say.."I don't get it, you seem to be doing it right). "smile". (How many times have I heard that "smile").

Here are the stats:
Russian River "Combat" Fishing Adventure:
Time spent on river: 5 Hours (10pm-3am)
Fish Caught (or even close to caught)=once again 0
Bears: 0 (mass of people scare them off).
Times fell in the river: once (trying to get out of the way when my neighbor caught his 3rd fish).
Fishing friends made: 5
Laughs: lots









1 Comments:

Blogger Abbey Inn Cedar said...

Fishing can be a very enjoyable pastime, as well as therapy for the stresses that life has to offer.

Ketchikan Fishing Tours

9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home